Create a free SCUK account and get access to the forums and our regular newsletter. Dec 20, 2014

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JedOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 06:48 AM

First post: May 09, 2011
Total posts: 29

Yeah, you definitely won't get many hours at first, but arriving early is all about securing your job for later once the season begins Wink As soon as jobs become available you want to be in whistler ready to apply, good jobs like bartender's tends to go fast.

Also, matt's correct about about the wage, just keep in mind the whole tip system in canada means they pay you low but as a bartender you can make a lot on tips, especially if you work the peak hours at bars with drunk people.

One more thing, Matt's info on Air Canada's baggage allowance is wrong since he's actually quoting domestic info. For international long distance flights you actually get 1 bag up to 23 kg per bag before they start charging extra & and $50 for an additional bag.

Last edited by Jed on May 11, 2011 - 09:18 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
RubberduckmanOfflineSCUK Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 07:32 AM

First post: Sep 20, 2009
Total posts: 6

So according to:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... ecked.html

In Economy Class for an international flight between Canada and Europe(UK) you are entitled to 1 Bag upto 23kg.
You can then buy additional bags from 100$ return (50$ each way) Per person.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... .html#-ski

From website:

When packed separately, each of the following counts as one piece of baggage towards the maximum number of checked bags allowed by your fare type:

one or more sets of skis (snow or water) packaged together in the same container,
one snowboard,
one helmet,
one set of poles,
one pair of boots (ski or snow),
one pair of skates,
a single slalom.

So as your only allowed one bag i'd presume you have to pay the $100 dollar extra for ski carraige.

As for Candianaffairs

http://www.canadianaffair.com/en/useful ... uggage.asp

Your entitled to 20kg bag and 5 kg hand luggage (Unless you upgrade to premium class for £99 per person per flight in which you get 30kg bag and 5kg hand)

Also of note is this:
http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gammes.a ... &id=25

"SPORTING EQUIPMENT
In addition to the free baggage allowance, you are allowed to carry specific sporting equipment free of charge as shown on the list below. Please note that only one item listed in the grid will be transported free of charge to a maximum of 20 kg (44 lb.) per passenger, and personal baggage and/or other sporting equipment cannot be substituted for the free sporting equipment allowance. Should the sport item combined with the personal baggage exceed the free allowance per person, applicable excess baggage fees will apply.

Ski equipment (snow or water) or Snowboard
Free

Any regular size

Any regular weight up to 20 kg (44 lb.) max.

Consists of:

1 pair of skis
1 pair of boots
1 pair of poles
or

1 snowboard
1 pair of snow boots
Cover pole tips.

Place your skis and poles or board in a pouch and boots in another bag."

So if i'm reading correctly you can take:

Your 20kg(30kg for premium) Hold luggage + 20kg Snowboard + 5kg hand luggage.

PS: I'm trying to use canadianaffairs website and when i try to book i cannot get past the insurance page as the dropdown doesn't work. Anyone else having this problem? Also cannot enter age of passengers on first page :S

lez_sOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 08:41 AM

First post: Oct 11, 2004
Total posts: 12063
GinaG wrote:
lez_s wrote:

The only problem with Canadian Affair is the baggage allowance as its not much.

*cough* Can upgrade your flight from £99 and get 30kg luggage + 10kg free snowboard carriage. *ahem*

For a season my snowboard bag is about 25-30kg.

lez_sOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 08:44 AM

So I understand from people that have looked into a working holiday visa last season BUNAC is being faded out and the Canada experience is taking over.

Also I've heard you can now get 2 one year working holiday visa's.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/un ... x?lang=eng

JedOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 09:13 AM

First post: May 09, 2011
Total posts: 29

Ah good catch Rubberduck, I forgot that europe was put in the same category with the US allowances for Air Canada. My bad.

Yeah you're correct about the ski bag, you'll have to buy an extra bag for $50 each way if you travel Air Canada.

RubberduckmanOfflineSCUK Member
5 Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 09:31 AM

First post: Sep 20, 2009
Total posts: 6

Yea Air Canada and BA just look way to expensive for me. I'd rather hold onto to the top of the plain for 10 hours and go budget so i can spend the extra cash on better accommodation.
If only i could get the canadianaffairs website to work :S

Edit:
Just as an extra laugh for insurance.
I rang insure and go and asked about adding funpark cover to their backpackers insurance for the entire season.

They quoted me £9140.....

The young girl on the other end of the phone actually laughed. Laughing

ColdComfortOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 07:19 PM

First post: Dec 03, 2009
Total posts: 1313
Your back in Nottingham Lez - i heard rumours u were staying out for summer this time too !?

I think all but the top station parking in the village are pay now - $8 for the day - When i was up in Feb i had some buddies drive up from the city, took them 40 mins to park in Creekside then the gondola queue was 50 mins so they went back to Van ! But its only weekends it will be busy and on days like that your not gonna get many runs anyway if your sticking to piste - think i got 3 laps of Symphony that morning ... they were good laps tho !

And yeah Air Canada have stupid baggage regs now too - cost me $110 on the way out here in Nov.

lez_sOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I'm back in Nottingham for now but looking to head to London for some work before heading back to Whistler with a visa in my pocket(I hope anyway).

The lift lines in Creekside can get silly as its the only place in Whistler that has free parking.

At the weekends I'm in no rush to head up even on a powder day as peak doesn't open on a big pow day until about 10ish, so I let all the weekenders head up and then I head up and go to peak line up and head to Million Dollar or Kybers.

JohnnyBelfastOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2011 - 08:44 PM

First post: Aug 10, 2007
Total posts: 542

That time of year again, the whistler season thread!
I think most of it has been covered pretty well, visa, flights.
I have to say, im not a creekside guy, only 2 bars so generally people are going out in the village so you need to get a bus, only 1 lift up the mountain so if its busy your feck, the village has 3 and a 4th one a short walk away.
Housing areas within a shor walk of the village are Brio, Cay Heights, Cay, Nesters, White Gold, and the upper village.
Season Passes, if you havnt got it already you have 2 options, get an Early bird or a Spirit Pass, normally only a $100-$200 differance. You will get a spirit pass from any employer, but if you get fired/quit you will lose your pass. My recomendation is to get the early bird, so you have a pass secured for opening day, if you get a job for the mountain they will refund the pass.
Jobs, there are plenty but may not be what you were hoping for. Service industry, i think, is the best way to maximise time on the hill and money. Not always easy to get though, as a general rule of thumb girls will serve and guys will bartend. There will be more serving jobs than bar jobs, and as mentioned before most of the bartenders will have been working there for a while, be canadian, and been in town for ages. Im not saying its impossible its just hard, some of the less busy spots you would have more luck. Pay will be $8.75 for service work but you will make decent tips.

KitmattOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2011 - 06:54 AM

First post: Nov 24, 2007
Total posts: 409
Awesome responses so far so thanks guys and gals....

Lez_s, Rubberduckman, ColdComfort, Matt, Johnny Belfast and Jed - Thanks you guys, you're info has been very helpful. If you want to start "donateapint.com" I'll be happy to throw a few your way
Wink

I've just started the applciation for the visa and I'm going to spend the day trawling through the websites you have suggested to see what I can find.

I take the points about bartending, I suspected it might be locals rule on this one but I'll try my hand anyway and see if anything sticks. I don't expect to be paid anything more than minimum wage if I do get a bartending role but as mentioned, tips will help.

Seems like a real mixed bag regarding opinions on Creekside. I'm not adverse to walking and although living in the village would be ideal, knowing i'm backpacking for six months afterwards has made me prioritise my monies..... I'll be running on fumes if I make the step up to the village by the time I'm home 12 months later and I don't really want to be in that position so a 10 mins bus ride once a day isn't really much of a compromise if it means i can do what I want to in both BC and the rest of the world.

Rubberduckman - I am a student actually (although technically this runs out in October), is there some form of other scheme to get a visa if I am a student?

Thanks

Judean Riders Front FTW!!!

KitmattOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2011 - 07:30 AM

Some questions RE: IEC Application Process

Not sure if anyone has been through this yet but, I'm filling out my pack at the moment and:

Do you print the forms out and fill them in by hand or do you work on an electronic copy as my adobe acrobat isn't allowing me to type in any text, but it looks as though it's been set up so it should allow this? None of my personal details are filled in on the form including name etc which I suspect should be completed?

It's asking for a Police Certificate? Any Ideas?

Employment Section: It asks for the name of an employer in Canada and job role? As I don't have a job yet but intend too do I just leave this blank?

Sorry - the FAQ section on the IEC website is weak.

KitmattOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Ignore the Forms (something to do with my Javascript settings) and the police Certs.... i've found that stuff now I was just being thick and not looking properly!

Still could do with an answer on the employment stuff though... Wink

JohnnyBelfastOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2011 - 03:50 PM

First post: Aug 10, 2007
Total posts: 542

Never leave any space blank, they will assume you missed it and send it back. Always put something in the box, in this case 'N/A' or 'To Be Arranged' should work. Check with others first.

CapitalGOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 15, 2011 - 07:12 PM

First post: Sep 22, 2009
Total posts: 17
I just finished applying for my second working holiday visa through IEC, so hopefully I can help with a few of your queries. If you look in the email you got with the application pack you should have this link:

http://www.international.gc.ca/canada-europa/france/jeunesse-youth/formulairesCIC_CICforms-en.asp

If you follow that link there's a section called "Details of Intended Work in Canada" that tells you how to fill out the employment part of the form.

KitmattOfflineNon-member
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2011 - 01:06 AM

CapitalG wrote:
I just finished applying for my second working holiday visa through IEC, so hopefully I can help with a few of your queries. If you look in the email you got with the application pack you should have this link:

http://www.international.gc.ca/canada-europa/france/jeunesse-youth/formulairesCIC_CICforms-en.asp

If you follow that link there's a section called "Details of Intended Work in Canada" that tells you how to fill out the employment part of the form.

Yeah I got this link but can't figure out if it is OK for me to put NA in employment details as I don't have an employer yet but need to get a job when I am out there Sad

Jump to: