Create a free SCUK account and get access to the forums and our regular newsletter. Aug 27, 2014

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SnowHawk01OfflineNon-member
Post subject: Ducks & Penguins. Their future. Your hands.  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 05:48 PM

First post: Oct 20, 2011
Total posts: 181

please STOP Shell drilling for oil in the artic. Sign this petition it will take less than a minute. most of it has been done for you just fill in the blanks....

http://act.greenpeace.org.uk/ea-action/ ... n=outreach

Last edited by SnowHawk01 on Mar 12, 2012 - 12:11 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
dashieOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 09:53 PM

First post: Sep 24, 2007
Total posts: 5040
No, oil makes the world go round. Deal with it hippy

AntsRantsOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 11:00 PM

First post: Feb 15, 2010
Total posts: 254
Im going to tie polar bears to my arms and run at the tanker. In all seriousness though... what dashie said is right. If we stopped doing everything that might damage the environment then we wouldn't get very far. Turn off your pc and ride a bike.

ChasKiOfflineSCUK Member
Post subject: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 11:18 PM

First post: Mar 04, 2009
Total posts: 2831
Can you please actually provide some sort of compelling (if actual reasoning based on real evidence cannot be provided) reason why we should?

I doubt you're going to get many other than the odd hippie to sign up just by saying "Please! Stop Shell, jump off a cliff and snort hydrauchloric acid if you survive!

SidgetOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 08:00 AM

First post: Sep 10, 2006
Total posts: 11241
There's plenty of far better alternatives to using oil for engines, in years to come society will look back on people using petrol in their cars to burn and just think "actual retards"

People who label you a hippy are people who simply do not understand the alternatives as they find them too difficult to comprehend

Trigger85OfflineNon-member
Post subject: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 08:28 AM

First post: Dec 09, 2009
Total posts: 1234
Sidget wrote:
There's plenty of far better alternatives to using oil for engines, in years to come society will look back on people using petrol in their cars to burn and just think "actual retards"

People who label you a hippy are people who simply do not understand the alternatives as they find them too difficult to comprehend

I want my car powered by a Mr. Fusion unit like Back to the Future!

there arnt actually plenty of viable alternatives at the moment. Sure there are alternatives but they arnt readily available to be used (as of yet) otherwise they would be in use. Take Hydrogen power, why wouldnt everyone want it? Its made from water and electricity, burns more efficiently and only produces water. However with todays electricity prices its only marginly cheaper so why spend massive amounts more on the special equipment needed? Human nature is lazy so we wont change unless its easier, at the moment its easier to use existing fuels i.e. oil.

Plus you could go into the whole oil companies make it expensive to force us to us oil based fuels etc but thats a differnet conspiricy!!

SidgetOfflineNon-member
Post subject: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 09:24 AM

Trigger85 wrote:
Sidget wrote:

I want my car powered by a Mr. Fusion unit like Back to the Future!

there arnt actually plenty of viable alternatives at the moment. Sure there are alternatives but they arnt readily available to be used (as of yet) otherwise they would be in use. Take Hydrogen power, why wouldnt everyone want it? Its made from water and electricity, burns more efficiently and only produces water. However with todays electricity prices its only marginly cheaper so why spend massive amounts more on the special equipment needed? Human nature is lazy so we wont change unless its easier, at the moment its easier to use existing fuels i.e. oil.

Plus you could go into the whole oil companies make it expensive to force us to us oil based fuels etc but thats a differnet conspiricy!!

The oil companies don't make it expensive, it's the fact oil is now a major trade on the markets. Instead of investing in gold or crops, people buy several oil tankers worth of crude, let it set for 6-12 months and then sell it on at a profit.

Along with that, everytime there is a marginal, minor disruption or even a hint of disruption, the markets purposely give a knee-jerk reaction to artificially inflate prices to make a profit.

Can't say I blame them, it's a very easy way to make money, it's just not very ethical!

My issue isn't the cost of oil, it's the fact it's running out and we use it for so much more than just burning in our cars, as most are aware - petrol is merely a byproduct of a much larger system, it's incredibly
expensive - both in $ terms, environmental and a human toll

Hydrogen is a fantastic alternative, it will be the future long after oil. It's just interesting that many of the first pioneers of hydrogen fuel suddenly died of mysterious deaths shortly after publicising their results...

SidgetOfflineNon-member
Post subject: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 09:26 AM

Trigger85 wrote:

Human nature is lazy so we wont change unless its easier, at the moment its easier to use existing fuels i.e. oil.

Quoted for truth

Although, imagine the size of the solar array you could create in Saudi or UAE (or any other very hot country) with $200,000,000 to power hydrogen fuel creation (talking about the steam tubes, not the crappy solar panels, those things are awesome!)

passtherizlaOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 11:54 AM

First post: May 12, 2006
Total posts: 8289
Hydrogen isn't safe though is it... just ask them in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Ideally it needs to be bonded to metal plates and released somehow I read.

I'm with Sidge I'm afraid on this one... we have depleted over 50% of the earth oil supplies so effectively we are on the slippery slide to having none. It won't take long with the 1000s of cars being bought every second in China and India.

But in fairness to the others too... signing that will achieve the same as smashing your face off oil tankers.

CjKitOfflineNon-member
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 11:56 AM

First post: Nov 01, 2010
Total posts: 2132
passtherizla wrote:
But in fairness to the others too... signing that will achieve the same as smashing your face off oil tankers.

Won't do any harm tho will it. And if it does help, well.....

Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 11:59 AM

I agree... can't hurt.

SidgetOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 12:10 PM

It's really cold in the arctic

Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 12:14 PM

Brrrrr....

SidgetOfflineNon-member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 12:16 PM

They should bring a coat

Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: STOP shell drilling oil in the arCtic!  PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 12:21 PM

at least, and maybe.....

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CH0Q8wIwAA

Swanky

Jump to: